Dr. Giancarlo Cotella is Associate Professor at Politecnico di Torino. His research focuses on EU territorial governance and the Europeanization of spatial planning in the member states. More in particular, he explored and compared the spatial planning systems of Central and Eastern European countries and, recently, of other parts of the world (as United States and Japan).
He coordinated or participated to several international research projects (among which: MILESECURE-2050, ESPON COMPASS, ESPON ReSSI, ESPON URRUC, ESPON TANGO, ESPON Smart-Ist, ESPON 2.3.2 Governance, ESPON 2.3.1 ESDP) and published widely in the international literature. He has been visiting professor at various European and international universities and institutions. He actively participates in the activities of the Association of European Schools of Planning (AESOP).
List of recent publications:
• COTELLA G. (forthcoming in 2019) “The urban dimension of EU cohesion policy”, in Medeiros E. (ed.) Territorial Cohesion – The Urban Dimension, Amsterdam: Springer, ISBN: 978-3-030-03385-9, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-03386-6
• TULUMELLO S., COTELLA G., OTHENGRAFEN F. (forthcoming in 2019) “Spatial planning and territorial governance in Southern Europe between economic crisis and austerity policies”, International Planning Studies.
• BERISHA E., COLIC N., COTELLA G., NEDOVIC-BUDIC Z. (2018) “Mind the gap: Spatial planning systems in the Western Balkan Region”, Transactions of AESOP, 2(2018), DOI: 10.24306/TrAESOP.2018.01.004
• VALKENBURG G. and COTELLA G. (2016) “Governance of energy transition. About inclusion and closure in complex socio-technical problems”, Energy, sustainability and society, 6(1), pp.1-11, ISSN: 2192-0567
• COTELLA G., and CRIVELLO S. (2016), “The macroregional geopolitics of energy security: towards a new energy world order?”, in LOMBARDI P. and GRUNING M. (eds) Low carbon energy security from a European perspective, Elsevier Science, pp. 81-108, ISBN: 9780128029701
• COTELLA G. and JANIN RIVOLIN U. (2015), “Europeanizazione del governo del territorio: un modello analitico”, Territorio, 73, pp.127-134. DOI: 10.3280/TR2015-073019
• COTELLA G., JANIN RIVOLIN U., SANTANGELO M., (2015) “Transferring good territorial governance in Europe: opportunities and barriers”, In: Schmidt P., Van Well L. (eds.) Territorial governance across Europe: Pathways, practices and prospects, London: Routledge, pp. 238-253, ISBN: 978-1-138-86087-2
• COTELLA G., ADAMS N. and NUNES R. (2012), “Engaging in European Spatial Planning: A Central and Eastern European Perspective on the Territorial Cohesion Debate”, European Planning Studies, 7(20), pp. 1197-1220, ISSN: 0965-4313; DOI: 10.1080/09654313.2012.673567
• ADAMS N., COTELLA G. and NUNES R. (eds.) (2011), “Territorial Development, Cohesion and Spatial Planning: Knowledge and Policy Development in an Enlarged EU”. Pp.1-457, London, Routledge. ISBN: 978-0-415-55194-6.
• STEAD D. and COTELLA G. (eds.) (2011), “Differential Europe: Domestic Actors and Their Role in Shaping Spatial Planning Systems”, DISP – The Planning Review, 186(3), pp.1-104, ISSN: 0251-3625.
Guest Lecture: Architecture For The Pleasure Of Reason – Martino Pedrozzi
Guest Lecture: “Urban Sustainability – why it is important and how it can be achieved” – Dr. Jerry Anthony
Guest Lecture: “Urban Topography vs. House Scenery” – Tatsuo Iwaoka
Guest Lecture: On Process – Mitesh Dixit
Guest Lecture: Sustainable Urbanism and Globalisation – Prof. Ashraf M. Salama
Guest lecture: ARCHITECT 2049 – Dr. Miloš Dimčić
Guest Lectures: Prof. Alfredo Brillembourg “Urban-Think Tank: Housing the City” and Haris Piplaš “Reactivating Sarajevo’s (Dis)continuous urbanism”
Guest Lecture: about design engineering culture – Professor Hanif Kara
Guest lecture: “The Robotic Touch – How Robots Change Architecture” by Professor Fabio Gramazio
AUR 2014/15 City and Society: Yoshiharu Tsukamoto & Momoyo Kaijima [Atelier Bow-Wow]